Thursday, February 18, 2021

Mold is toxic! Are you allergic?

 Are you affected by mold? I certainly am! I had a 7 month battle with mold in 2008 after a visit to a lodge at WV state parks. It took 4 months to diagnose and after 3 months of medication I now am fine but have a very low toleration to mold of any type. Gregg jokes I can smell mold a mile away. I am VERY allergic to mold. 

This may seem a strange topic for at blog but this is  so very timely at  this time of the year. . As I was filling our heat and cool neck wraps yesterday, I recalled a discussion which I had with a customer who has carried our products for years. She had sold what she called heat socks, a tube of fabric filled with rice which was heated in a microwave and placed around the shoulders? Our discussion revolved around why I had decided to use flax with my lavender rather than rice. 

Let me start with the fact that many manufacturers use rice, buckwheat even dried corn as the filler. Yes,  it is cheaper but the cost should not be your concern, health and safety should be top of mind. So why would I recommend flax seed? Oh let me educate you on the benefits of flax as compared to the other items I mentioned above. 

I will start with the negative aspects of dried corn, rice and buckwheat hulls as fillers.


They are natural products and as long as they are not treated with any pesticide, most would think they are fine. However being natural and porous, they can absorb moisture as they are heated, placed on your shoulders, then absorb moisture from your skin. This filling can then grow Mold. Sound strange? Yes,  I am sure this is something most of you may never have thought of!

Flax seed is a solid seed, can not absorb moisture, however absorbs and holds heat and cold well and truly doesn't break down like other natural items. Another plus is the size of the seed,  small, easily shapes around your shoulders or wherever you use it, and of course works well with the Lavender. Yes we love flax and can not imagine using anything else. 

So why do I believe our heat and cool wraps work so well? Another feature of our wraps is that we provide a washable removable cover. Would you want to use a dirty, sweaty neck wrap? Sorry, that doesn't sound very attractive, but very accurate. Well,  our inner muslin cover contains the flax and Lavender mix, inside a washable removable cover. Yes that means you do not need to replace them as often. Possibly not a good thing because our customers will not be buying them as often. However our customers appreciate that we are concerned with their health. Check our heat and cool wraps on our website or at many of the shops that carry our products. 

It has been over a decade since my last blog, yes check out my old posts! Well  I guess I have busy and am finally taking time to get back to this. I have missed it. 

I hope you have learned something today, and will be checking out our monthly blogs, sign up for our newsletter, follow us on FB and IG, as well as our YouTube channel, the Crazy Lavender Lady! 


No comments:

Post a Comment